November 13, 2010

We're Not in Kansas Anymore!

This cake was for a woman who even though she lives in Nebraska loves the Wizard of Oz. Her daughter ordered the cake and her husband came up with the phrase "Everywhere you are is Kansas!" I loved the quote and couldn't say no to this order when I had free creative reign! This is what I came up with.


This Wizard of Oz cake was a 12 inch round cake and served 60. It was a simple delicious white cake with vanilla buttercream filling. Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm! A combination even the Wicked Witch of the West would love! I tried to include everything that I could think of without making the cake look too crazy! All of those little accents were made from fondant. The quotes were hand piped with buttercream.

This cake needed to travel from Kansas to Nebraska in one piece - and transported by someone other than myself! Luckily there were no tornadoes to whisk this little goodie off to Munchkin Land!


Somewhere over the rainbow...


Dorothy's house landed on the Wicked Witch of the East!


And the Ruby Red Slippers magically appeared on Dorothy's feet!


She was told to "Follow the yellow brick road!"...


to the Emerald City to see the Wizard of Oz!


But the Wicked Witch of the West would cause Dorothy and her friends some trouble with some poisoned poppies!


I'm really loving the way that this cake turned out and it really does follow the story of Dorothy, Toto, and her new friends! I'm hoping that it made it all the way to Nebraska in one piece and I hope that the recipient LOVED it just as much as I do!


"Alicia Patrick did such an amazing job on my mom's Wizard of Oz themed birthday cake for her 60th birthday celebration!!!!" -Amanda P.


No comments:

Post a Comment