November 6, 2010

Every Princess needs her castle!


My first castle cake ever! Yes it was nerve racking! Yes it was tricky! No I do not resent the time and effort that went into this puppy. I absolutely adore this cake! It was for a little princess who was turning 1, so naturally her tiara and royal scepter are on her smash cake!


The main castle cake served 22 people. It was an 8 inch round cake, which normally serves 24 but I made an adjustment for the towers. The King and Queen that reign over this castle wanted a white cake with vanilla buttercream filling. Pretty simple inside, on the outside... not so much!


Most of the details on the castle were made from fondant. The door was no exception. It's hard to tell from the picture put there is wood grain detail on the door just to make it that much better. The castle walls were also detailed to make them look like stone.


The royal garden was not very big in comparison to the size of the entire castle itself. The flowers were made from fondant and matched the pink on the rest of the castle. The vines and leaves were hand piped with buttercream.

The 4 towers on this cake were fondant covered cardboard rolls (covered in saran wrap of course for food safety!) and topped with sugar cones covered in fondant. It was a little tough to get these tall slender guys to stay put but once I did the result was what you see here - pure cuteness!


The top of the cake was a little bare so I added some more flowers and vines. Looking back I would have piped "Happy Birthday Princess Ashlee" or something to that effect. Either way it still looked great and the customer still loved it!

Now onto Princess Ashlee's own personal smash cake! (Included in the order of course!)

Her smash cake matched the colors of the main cake and has the same castle border around the bottom. The smash cake was a simple white cake with vanilla buttercream icing - only 1 serving though... to be smashed into!


Princess Ashlee's royal scepter displayed her age on the party day. It matched the invitations and decorations that the King and Queen used for the party.

Again, matching the invitations and decorations, Princess Ashlee's Tiara! Complete with her name in the same font on the invitations.

I added a little glitz and glam to the sides of the smash cake to make it more enticing for the birthday girl to smash her little fists into! Hopefully her mom sends me some pictures!


Happy birthday Princess Ashlee! I hope you enjoyed your very first birthday, your very first birthday party, and my very first castle cake!

"I just wanted to say THANK YOU for this incredibly awesome smash cake and princess cake. I was completely blown away by it's appearance. It was perfect and WAY better than I ever imagined. I will for sure be passing your cards out and contacting you for all of our cake needs! I will send you some pictures as soon as I download them. Thanks again. Ashlee LOVED it all (and it was SOOO yummy)" -Kati B.

1 comment:

  1. This cake was absolutely wonderful and amazing!! I'll be posting pics on my blog shortly, itsallaboutty.blogspot.com. Ashlee's mommy :)

    ReplyDelete