August 8, 2011

A Chocoholics Dream County Fair Cake!


Yes, I am a chocoholic and yes, this is my dream cake! I made this cake not for a customer but for my own personal goal of getting a blue ribbon at the county fair!


This cake was a three tiered chocolate (of course) cake with vanilla buttercream icing and covered in regular and chocolate fondant. It was never eaten since it sat out on display at the fair for a week but if it had I'm sure it would have been delicious!


I had to make this cake viewable from every angle since it would be out in the open at the county fair. So this whole cake, 360 degrees, was decorated to perfection and 100% edible!


The top of this cake was actually a solid piece of chocolate shaped in the form of a cupcake. The cupcake was swirled with chocolate buttercream and then adorned with a hand-shaped fondant strawberry. The strawberry had chocolate fondant on it so it looked like it was dipped in liquid chocolate.


Look at those little pores on the strawberry! And that shiny shiny chocolate! Mmmm... mmmm... mmmm!


The cupcake sat a top a slice of cake that literally looked like a slice of cake. This piece of cake was also covered in fondant and decorated to look as if it had just been cut from a larger round cake. I love the way the "crust" on the cake turned out, it makes it look like it could be a piece of pie. I guess it's up to your own interpretation.


On top of the slice of cake/pie sat three individual cherries. No these were not real cherries but actually hand rolled red fondant. The stems were also made from fondant and pushed into the cherries. I just want to gobble them up they are so cute!


I did not get a close up of the middle tier but I'll use this picture for my description. The middle cake was a full blown 100% chocolate cake. The swags were fondant along with the white swirls on top of that tier. I tried to make all of the tiers not only different but a little bit different colors so that each tier would stand out on its own. Misison accomplished!


The bottom layer of the cake was made to look like a bundt cake drizzled with chocolate ganache. I could have used chocolate ganache but instead used chocolate fondant. By now you are probably asking yourself, how did she get some of the fondant to look so shiny? Well, I sprayed some Pam on a piece of waxed paper and basically painted it on. It really gave this cake definition and pop as I like to call it!


On top of the bundt cake were a few little raspberries made from fondant and textured to look like actually raspberries. The white behind the raspberries is actually vanilla buttercream. It's one of the few appearances buttercream makes on the outside of this cake.


And the results are in! My cake won a first place blue ribbon in the decorated cakes category! I also won a whopping $3.00 as my prize money. I almost did not even cash it and just put it in the frame with my ribbon and a picture of my cake. Unfortunately, it did not fit so off to the bank I went. I was really proud of myself and I will definitely be entering again next year. Perhaps next time I'll enter more than one category!

No comments:

Post a Comment